St Aloysius School - MSFS Visakhapatnam

Diocese of Visakhapatnam
st aloysius high school visakhapatnam run by msfs fathers
Locked Steel Gate

Vision

To provide a centre of excellence for a holistic formation of the young, capable of transforming themselves and the society they live in, thereby enabling to build a progressive and secular nation.

Mission

Academic excellence and character formation. Emphasis on the all round development of the students. Enabling students to master the competition of the challenging times without sacrificing the School’s Motto ‘Virtute et Labore’.

A Short Brief About St. Aloysius High School

In 1847, Rev. Fr. Tissot acquired a small house near the beach and started the institution. This was the first Catholic School in Vizag. Rev. Fr. J. Decompoix was the principal from 1847-1864. Rev. Fr. Alexis Riccaz attained recognition for the school officially in 1864 and named the School “St. Aloysius School. After 1873 new addition were made –new land, new buildings, additional facilities were added.

In 1901 Fr. J. L. Contat built a two-storied building on the northern side facing the main road was acquired and was used as the Bishop’s House till 1934 which was later demolished to build the chapel on the first floor. This chapel was dedicated to St. Francis De Sales for the first time in Visakhapatnam.

In 1908 ground floor and the first floor of the main building facing the gate was completed at a cost 48,000/- . The second floor of the main building was constructed in 1929-1930. Till 1940, the pupils were mainly Anglo-Indians but gradually the government allowed 33 percent seats, later 50 percent seats for Non-Anglo – Indians.

After Independence, St. Aloysius School became totally independent catering to the educational needs of all set groups. In 1985 Fr. Alexander Kottam constructed a 3 storied building for boarding boys and in 1987 he built another new building for primary classes. In 1997, the school celebrated 150 years Jubilee.

Some Details About The Centre

  • Apostolates at the Centre - Education & Boy’s Hostel
  • Number of confreres at present - Four (3 Priests + 1 Regent Brother)
  • People benefitting from it are mostly - Fishermen, Labourers, Middle Class Christians, Hindus and Muslims
  • Infrastructure - Sufficient to the present needs of the institute
  • Financial Status -Self-sufficient and supports the Province in case of need
  • Remarks - Efforts are made to increase the strength of the School in order to improve the financial situation
  • Religious Congregations nearby - St. Joseph’s of Annecy and Bridgitine Sisters