A Short Brief About Stella Maris
Stella Maris is the Provincial House of the M.S.F.S. of Visakhapatnam Province. It is at ChinnaWaltair, in the Archdiocese of Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
Mrs. L.F. Kotak, was the owner of the place and the original house. She was a great friend of the Church and of Fr. K.E.Zacharias, the Regional Superior of the M.S.F.S. of Visakhapatnam. She had no children. Mr. Kotak had already bequeathed the house and property to the Bombay Archdiocese by a registered will, giving right at the same time to Mrs. Kotak to change it if she so desired after his death . After 10 years of her husband’s death Mrs. L.F. Kotak wrote her will cancelling the previous one made by her husband and bequeathed the house and property to Missionaries of St. Francis de Sales in 1960.
On 22-05-1962 Mrs. L.F. Kotak died. In April 1962 Fr. DevasiaKuzhupil had already taken charge as the regional superior of the Missionaries of St. Francis De Sales of Visakhapatnam. Fr. Kuzhupil began to realize that the Cathedral would always belong to the diocese. He also noticed that there were very few files regarding the Congregation in the office of the regional Superior, though M.S.F.S. had a history of more than 100 years in Visakhapatnam. This was due to the frequent changes of the residence of the Regional Superiors, and so he was convinced of the need of a permanent residence for the Regional Superior in the town of Visakhapatnam.
Now, as the Kotak House belonged to the Congregation. Fr. Nellikunnel George and Bro. Devaraj Started to stay in Stella Maris. Fr. Kuzhupil thought that it could be made the residence of the Regional Superior. He named it “Stella Maris” due to the nearness of the sea and in honour of our Blessed Mother. The then Regional Superior was also the Parish Priest of St. Anne’s Cathedral.
Fr. Kuzhupil told Bishop Baud about his plan of shifting from St. Anne’s Cathedral to Stella Maris. Bishop Baud readily agreed. Thereafter, Stella Maris became the residence of the Provincial Superiors of the Missionaries of St. Francis De Sales, Visakhapatnam. From then on remodeling, renovations and extensions were taken up.
A new wing was constructed to accommodate the aged confreres and guests. The present separate chapel of Stella Maris was built in 1988, as the memorial of the 150th anniversary of the founding of the M.S.F.S. Congregation.
Some Details About the Centre
- Apostolates at the Centre - Administration of the Province and care of the senior citizens
- Number of confreres at present - Eighteen (Sixteen Priests, a Senior Brother and a Regent Brother)
- People benefitting from it are mostly - ReligiousConvents, Senior Confreres and since it is the Provincialate, all other confreres of the Province apart from the Catholics from the locality
- Infrastructure - Good but not sufficient
- Financial Status - Self- Sufficient
- Religious Congregations nearby - St. Ann’s of Luzern, Sisters of Charity of St. Anne
- Remarks - The present infrastructure is insufficient to the future needs province and the care of the senior citizens of the Province
- Some more guest rooms could be constructed
- Construction of the Church
- Renovation of the building